So you just got some new drift tires and wheels. Maybe you’d expected the tires to snap right onto the wheels. Nope! If they did just snap on, they’d probably snap right off when running your drift car. The drift tire and wheel need a really snug fit. Below I give you the easy steps for fitting drift tires onto wheels.
The tires and wheels listed here will work with any 1/10 scale RC drift car. Check your drift car’s chassis and body for the correct wheel offset.
- 2 packs-HPI Racing HRE C106 26mm Touring Car Wheels, White
- 2 packs-HPI Racing 4406 T-Drift Tire, 26mm (2)
- Medium pot to boil water
- Rubber mallet
- Remove the wheels from the packaging and place into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Fill a medium pot 2/3 full of water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Once the 30 minutes is up for freezing the wheels, then add the tires to the boiling water using tongs.
- Boil tires for about 5 minutes.
- Remove one wheel from the freezer and one tire from the boiling water.
- Stack the wheel on top of the tire.
- Using the rubber mallet, hammer the wheel into the tire.
- Repeat steps 5-7 for the rest of the tires.
Note: You want the tire to be really hot (expanded) and the wheel to be really cold (contracted) when you hammer the wheel into the tire. That’s how you get them snugly fitted together.
Have you fit your drift tires onto wheels? Let me know how it went in the comments below.
Got different sized tires or want to make your own? Check out my video on How to Make RC Drift Tires.